photo 0_a9de6_c1cf9cb6_-4-orig.png

Thanx to Andrey Lake Gladilin for permission to use this Lexx graphic!

Translate

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Why talking about LEXX is still so important

I'm having an interesting week. I discovered from stats that there is a real country called Brunei. This clicks out to the original tweet two days ago. You can see the full size chart here.


At first I thought it was some kind of joke, like maybe I acquired a new bot or something, or maybe someone with a Brunnen-G fetish was vacationing in Brunei and thought it would be funny, or was stuck in a hotel room with nothing to do.

Brunei Tourism

But I woke up to this again. It clicks out to full size.


It's been like this the last couple of days. Brunei very suddenly consumed my stats.


You can see from this monthly stat chart that this being a very recent event holds true.


I got curious and looked deeper into Brunei.

"Its ruling royals, led by the head of state Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, possess a huge private fortune and its largely ethnic-Malay population enjoy generous state handouts and pay no taxes.

A British protectorate since 1888, Brunei was the only Malay state in 1963 which chose to remain so rather than join the federation that became Malaysia. Full independence came relatively late in 1984.

Despite a significant non-Muslim minority presence in the country and strong condemnation from international rights group, in 2014 Brunei became the first East Asian country to adopt strict Islamic sharia law which allows punishment such as stoning for adultery and amputation for theft."

Sharia law?

 photo shock.gif

Ok, now I understand why my Zev vs Xev post blew up over there, because most of what I said is about the repression of women by a strict government. The date on the Zev/Xev post is one day before my tweet noticing the Brunei hits.

I challenge ANY cult scifi reviewer writing about Lexx to top this. THIS is why I stand up for Lexx, no matter what people say about it, because it so elegantly depicts the horrific parts of humanity that we are too delicate to discuss.

This is where a tweet would say *drops mic*.

You can see more Zev and Xev here.

I made this. Feel free to use it.




No comments:

Post a Comment